Taiwan Offshore Wind
Formosa Wind Farms:
- Taiwan's most significant offshore wind projects are often referred to as the Formosa Wind
Farms. These farms are located off the coast of Taiwan in the Taiwan Strait.
- The Formosa Wind Farms consist of multiple phases and are developed by various companies,
both domestic and international.
- Formosa I was one of the first offshore wind farms in Taiwan and began operations in 2017.
- The initial phase had a capacity of 8 MW, but it has been expanded with additional phases,
bringing its total capacity to around 128 MW.
Formosa II and Formosa III:
- Formosa II and Formosa III are follow-up projects to Formosa I.
- Formosa II is expected to have a capacity of around 376 MW, while Formosa III is planned
to have a capacity of approximately 2 GW.
Other Offshore Wind Projects:
- In addition to the Formosa Wind Farms, Taiwan has several other offshore wind projects in
various stages of development.
- These projects aim to add significant offshore wind capacity to Taiwan's energy mix and
contribute to its renewable energy goals.
- Taiwan's government has been actively supporting the development of its offshore wind
industry through policies, incentives, and regulatory frameworks.
- The Feed-in Tariff (FIT) and Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) mechanisms have been
established to encourage investment in the sector.
- Taiwan's offshore wind projects have the potential to create jobs and stimulate economic
growth, particularly in the local supply chain for wind turbine components and services.
- Environmental assessments are conducted for offshore wind projects in Taiwan to minimize
their impact on marine ecosystems and wildlife.
Taiwan's offshore wind developments represent a significant step toward achieving the country's
renewable energy targets and reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The Taiwanese government has been
proactive in fostering a favorable environment for offshore wind investments and collaborations with
international partners in the renewable energy sector.
Please note that developments in the renewable energy sector, including offshore wind projects, may
have progressed further since my last update in September 2021. To get the most up-to-date information
on Taiwan's offshore wind projects and their current status, I recommend checking recent news and
official sources related to renewable energy developments in Taiwan.